Thai Garden


      It was around two in the afternoon when we arrived at the garden. It was a hot and humid July day in a small city somewhere between Milwaukee and Madison. Me and my cousins had been stuck in an awkward silence in the back of my aunts minivan, spacing out to the blast of the air conditioning and the sound of our moms relentlessly chattering back and forth. I suddenly snapped out of it as I heard their confusion over where to park. We approached a beautiful stone building with a glass dome, it had a large amount of elaborate fencing with plants overflowing on the sides. As we parked the car I could see butterflies dancing at the edge of the glass.

      As we got out I felt the heat on my skin and realized that I forgot to wear sunscreen. I instantly forgot about my mistake as we paid our way and entered the main building. Startled by the brief wave of chilled air I followed my family back out side. Vines and flowers entangled every structure I saw. I barely noticed the frequent clicks of my cousins camera shutters as I appreciated the vast array of colors. I was surrounded by plants I had never seen before and made a mental note not to touch any of them. I wasn't sure what drove someone to put a Thai garden in the middle of who-knows-where Wisconsin, but I was glad that I was able to enjoy it.

       I snapped some pictures on my phone, feeling thankful I had gotten one with such a good camera so I could bring the garden home with me. My younger cousin ran around with the friend she had dragged along when suddenly we were hushed. In the silence I heard soft wedding music, I peered around the bush corner to see a beautiful ceremony. I soaked up the sad and sweet feelings as my mom suggested we get going. I said a silent goodbye to the stone lions, black butterflies, and the crowd of slightly irritated wedding guests and headed back towards the exit.

     I think that my panorama successfully captured my feelings visiting the garden. I was able to express the all encompassing feeling of the fully themed environment. The colors are nearly as bright as they were in real life. There is balance and symmetry, but also a degree of nonsense.







Comments

Popular Posts