Typography

Preproduction

For this project I looked at quotes relating to things I love. I ended up choosing some quotes from Elton John, Freddie Mercury, and Winnie the Pooh. For my first Winnie the Pooh quote I wanted a messy care free font. For my candle in the wind quote I wanted to find a thicker sort of bullet journal calligraphy font paired with a very simple sans serif. For my second Winnie the Pooh quote I wanted a playful font that incorporated hearts since the quote mentions it. For my Freddie Mercury quote I originally used a graffiti font but ended up preferring a simple wide cursive script. For my Elton John quote I wanted to use a font that had similarities to typical autograph/ scratch messages, so I looked for a pristine yet loose quick looking cursive.

Production

For the first Winnie the Pooh quote I selected a messy cursive script and an uneven handwriting sort of font. I mixed them together using the cursive for the more important sections of text. I then put the text on a balloon and warped them to have a rounded effect. I decided to make the balloon red and the background blue, I made the text white to soften the look. For my candle in the wind quote I attempted to put black font over a black candle stick and make the overlapped sections white for a smooth transitional look, however this proved difficult. I ended up not liking the look and did not make a colored version. My second Winnie the Pooh quote  lead me to search for a font for the second part of the quote where the letters were in hearts. I ended up finding one but to balance out the first part of the quote i put it in a sticky note font. I colored the sticky notes in pastel rainbow and the hearts in a light pink. I put the background in an even lighter pink and called it done. For my Freddie Mercury quote I made a stop sign with stop sign font for my base, since stop was one of the main words. I originally used graffiti font on top of the sign for the rest of the words to convey a rebellious feel, but I felt the font didn’t really look like how I wanted it to. When I tried to add a rainbow gradient to the font and it didn’t work, I replaced it with a sharpie sort of font. It looked clean while still having tones of vandalism. I used a blue for the background and of course red for the stop sign. For my Elton John quote I made a graphic of one of his most iconic pair of sunglasses. I made the white rims with the pen tool and then used the gradient tool for the lenses. I placed the two most important words on the lenses (one on each) to make the pop. The rest of the quote I placed at the top with a left align to make it seem classy. I also used a light gray for the background to add to that effect. I feel like I didn’t learn much making these except I gained some more experience with the pen tool, gradient tool, and direct manipulation of anchor points on fonts. 

Post-Production/Final Product

I feel relatively good about my final products. I will say though that I think they could be better and they seem a little plain/ underwhelming to me. Although while working I wasn’t sure how to improve them. But I’m still satisfied with my work.


  

    

                                   




Comments

Popular Posts