Semester 1 Performance Review


Photoshop Challenge 1

 The first major project I did this year was a photoshop challenge where I had to edit themed layers around a blank photo of a man. I chose to do a space theme. I used my time wisely so it didn't take too long. My technical skills made the project not very difficult, my only challenge was creating good balance through the piece. I got better with masks and fine selections. As far as making any changes to my original idea, I originally was going to do a spring theme, but it didn't work out. I'm very happy with this piece.
Galactical

Photoshop Challenge 2           

The next big project I did was another photoshop layering challenge, but this time without the distraction of a person, leaving me with freedom to use layers to build an environment. I decided to make the base a plane window. I built up several layers to create a fallen under water city. I added a compass to guide the eye inward. My main struggle was balancing out the multiple dark shades, I wanted there to be clarity, but I didn't want to take out the mysteriousness. I think it came out a little too dark, but I still really like my idea. I didn't learn much during this project other than more advanced use of filters.

Free Time

I mainly tried to use my little free time throughout the semester to experiment with personal projects. I edited some of my own and my friends's photos in photoshop to get more comfortable with the program. I think this benefited my performance on other projects. Any other time I spent helping other people with their projects by giving feedback. I think it helped me to get ideas from other peoples' work.

Asya

My Strengths

I feel that my strengths include being good at having visions for my projects and then developing them into something more. I think I am good with color and balance. This seems to help me out in the sort of composition work I have worked on this semester. I also feel that I am pretty good at managing my time efficiently/ knowing when Im done so I don't overdue a project. 

Weaknesses

I think that my only major weakness in this class is that when Im struggling to find out how to do something new on a program and I can't figure it out, it is more likely that Ill give up and do something else than actually asking around for help. But the middle ground for that is that I often have to be creative and find new/different ways to do things.

Takeaways 

The thing I loved most about this past semester is the satisfaction of after going through a lot of difficult and tiresome tutorials I was able to have a huge amount of freedom and really have fun designing pieces having acquired better technical skills. I wouldn't really change anything except asking for help more frequently because some of my projects may have turned out slightly better. My overall takeaway for this semester is that the programs I use in graphic design are far more complicated than I initially realized , and that it never hurts to explore them more and to practice. My goals for next semester are just to get more comfortable with photoshop and illustrator. Overall I really enjoyed this semester, it definitely finalized my decision to go into the graphic design strand.

Comments

Popular Posts