Ten Word Animation




Ten Word Animation 

by: Jenna Lindsey

Describing Myself

 The foundation of this project was to describe myself through a series of ten words(or terms, since I couldn't find single words to describe someone who loves napping, music, or culture, I'll just leave the blame on the English language for now.) So I had to choose thoughtfully, here is the reasoning behind a few of my most important descriptors.

   -Dreamer
    This word is very relevant to me and my character. Whether it be realistic or not, I'm constantly thinking of tomorrow and what it could hold. I'm a believer in a bright and hopeful future.

   -Excited by Culture
    This descriptor shapes a lot of my interests and the sort of things presented in my artistic constructions and general personality.

   -Imaginative
    Anyone who knows me can tell you I space out, A LOT. This isn't because I'm bored or don't care about something, rather it's that a part of my mind is continuously occupied by thoughts and ideas for stories, videos, songs, or some kind of visual design.

Visual Concept

 Through the visual presentation of this I wanted to express more of my personality. I wanted the words to be colorful, but slightly dulled so they wouldn't appear spastic or overwhelming. When it came to the sizing of the words I decided to make the words larger or smaller depending on their importance to me. Having many colors and sizes of words I decided making the words appear in a sort of spiral pattern would work well in fitting the words together and putting them in order based on color. At the end I decided to make my name grow larger and for the words to fade out to add emphasis and zest to the overall animation.

Creating the Animation

 This animation was created in Adobe Photoshop, a program that I've had little experience with. My teacher showed us the process of creating an animation with this software through using a timeline and creating keyframes creating the illusion of movement.

What I Learned

Over the course of this project I learned many things such as:

   -Basics of the Adobe Photoshop software
   -How to use keyframes and timelines to create apparent movement
   -How to make good use of limited space and time
   

What I Would Change

If I were go back and redo this project there are three main things I would change:

   -Speed
   One of the guidelines of this animation was to make it last 4 or less seconds, however if that wasn't a guideline I think it would have had a more smooth and less rushed look if it was at least half as fast.

   -Empty space
   Looking back at my finished animation there are several places in between the words that are blank and awkwardly sticking out, if I did this again I would either make the words in all caps (to avoid pockets of emptiness) or insert small graphics into some of the blank spots.

   -Audio
  While this was't an element of this project, I think it would add something to my animation if there was a simple note that chimed in when ever a word entered to create a short and sweet melody. (But that's more the part of musical my brain speaking than the artistic part.)

What I Would Keep the Same

I like my overall final product and there are many things I wouldn't change:

   -My choice of colors
   -My overall concept (although I'm imagining how it would look if words entered like Tetris pieces)
   -My choice of words/ terms

The Overall Experience

Overall I'm really glad I was able to create this animation and learn how to use Photoshop to create apparent movement and start getting into visual principles.

Conclusion

This project was a good learning experience, induction to animation, and self reflection.

Comments

Popular Posts